Tuesday, July 24, 2007

LITTLE HELP FROM ABOVE...

Last Friday was one of those days where I just couldn't find the energy, enthusiasm, time, discipline to get out there and run. I knew I needed it however, so into my running clothes I went and at about 9:30pm I finally made it out the door. Now usually I have really good runs on days, or in this case night when I don't feel like running. I always thought it was like a reward for getting out there even though I didn't want to. That being said Friday was different...
A few times during my training and fundraising for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, my mind has turned to an old friend of mine who passed away from Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Friday, however was different. About 1/4 mile into my run I started to think about Mike and how one day he woke up with a baseball sized tumor on his shoulder. How his wife couldn't cook in the house because the sores in his mouth from treatment hurt too badly when he salivated. How after that 1st year he went into remission and he and his wife paid off all their bills and went to Australia, their dream vacation. And then sadly, the cancer coming back a finally taking his life.
Next thing I knew I was over a mile out and I could feel that I was running faster than normal, so I slowed my pace. As soon as I did that I got this tingle in my back that seemed to push me. As if to say you don't need to slow down. Now for those of you who know me, you know that I am not the "spiritual" type, but I really felt someone or something pushing me. Strangest and most energizing feeling I have ever had.
Between miles 1 and 2 another visual popped into my head. That of a jockey and a racehorse. I used to love to go to the race track and bet the ponies!! That tiny person using every ounce of energy to hold back an animal that just wants to run. Then at just the right moment the jockey relaxes their arms and lets the horse run. All the tension gone, pure speed!!! I love it!! I felt like the horse that was allowed to run, no holding back, no tension. man it was cool.
Now most of you know that I am by no means a race horse!!! As a matter of fact I have never run sub 9 minute miles back to back before. So you can imagine my surprise when I finished my 3 miles in 26:28. At least three times during my run I felt that push in my back and honestly I felt as though I could have run forever, but I was so excited I had to stop and tell my wife about what happened!
Just thought I would share that with you and maybe remind you of those people in your life that make a difference and those who are no longer with us and yet they are, giving us that push when we need it!

Have a great day,

R.P.D.

3 Comments:

At 9:43 AM , Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Good post Bobby! I haven't had an experience like that but I know at certain times different things motivate us. Start scheduling your runs, so you make the time to get them in.

 
At 4:43 PM , Blogger Al Durham said...

Remembering the reason why you run and asking passed loved ones to ride along on your shoulders always helps.

 
At 4:01 PM , Blogger Tom@RunnersLounge said...

I enjoy reading your posts, and this one was a great reminder of what it means to be able to run, without regard to speed or distance. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home