Monday, July 16, 2007

THOSE DAMN HILLS.....

You know, whenever you hear the phrase "necessary evil" be wary! Yesterday before we headed out for our training run in Lake Orion I heard that phrase at least 2 maybe 3 times concerning the hills on our course. Having run out here before I barely gave them a second thought. The thing I forgot was that I was actually training the last time.

Let me start by saying thanks to the volunteers that came out for support and to man the aid stations. I hate to carry water, so thanks!! Also thanks to coaches Ken and Sandy for leading the way. Great idea to use flour to mark the course instead of paint!!! My goal was to run double digits and since it was an out and back I either had to go 5 or 6 miles out. Since the mile between 4 and 5 was ALL uphill I decided on 10 miles. Even though, as I said, the course was an out and back, the way out seemed tougher. That is peculiar because I was running with 3 other people most of the way. Way to go Tim and Ken for doing 8 and Tim C. for 12. Speaking of Tim C., he brought me a double jogging stroller for me that his sister was selling, now I can run with the kiddies!!!

I think part of the reason the out part of the course was harder is because every down hill I ran I thought, that will be an uphill on the way back!! Bad brain!!!! Anywho, I ran by myself from miles 5 to about 8 which is where I realized that I hadn't run double digit miles since my marathon in October and I started getting those poisonous thoughts in my head. You know the ones about walking for a bit!!! Just then I heard footsteps and Jeff came running by, he slowed a bit and after exchanging pleasantries we ran together for most of the last 2 miles. Jeff is one of those people who marathoners call crazy! He told me that he just ran a half Ironman last Sunday and ran 20 miles on the day before our run. Not to mention several other runs during the week. It was right about then my left knee started to hurt, I swear just hearing about the miles he put in caused it! It was nothing major so I finished through it and I was very happy with the run overall.

Up until yesterday I was getting frustrated because I am having trouble getting faster. Not so much because of my body, but because of my breathing. This was the first run in a while that I didn't try to push the limits. I went out nice and slow and stayed there the whole run. I still want to get faster, but now I realize it won't happen over night.

Thanks for stopping by and the pictures are coming promise.

R.P.D.

6 Comments:

At 9:45 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

So your brain sends out signals to the knee that it hurts? I can definitely relate to that. Yes, Jeff is crazy but he is also inspirational in some ways. It was good to see you out there even though it was a tough course. Don’t worry about getting faster, the Olympics aren’t until 2008!

TNT Cocah Ken

 
At 12:24 PM , Blogger beccahsdad said...

Ken....
Gen George S. Patton said and I will paraphrase, that the mind is weak and will quit long before the body finds it necessary to do so. So it may well be the case that my brain is telling me my knee hurts, who knows. Boy if I could learn how to control that!!! Jeff and people like are inspirational, does that make me nuts too??

 
At 1:40 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Not nuts but worth keeping an eye on!!!

It's mostly mental after a certain point.

 
At 12:30 AM , Blogger Beccahsmom said...

Bob I am proud of you for enduring through the pain...you know what they say..'whatever doesn't kill you...will make u stronger'

 
At 6:58 AM , Blogger beccahsdad said...

BAD....
Thanks for the encouragement.

 
At 10:38 AM , Blogger Al Durham said...

You did great on those hills. Even if the next race or event that you are planning on running is a flat course, the hills will actually help you get faster. Don't worry, if you keep putting the miles in you pace will slowly increase without you even realizing it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home