Monday, June 11, 2007

JOGGER OR RUNNER.....

So I was scanning through the July 07 issue of runner's world this morning and I came across an interesting advertisement for the Pearl Izumi running shoe. http://www.wearenotjoggers.com/home
In a nutshell it says that we as humans have running hardwired into our DNA because of the fact that our ancestors needed to run down prey and run to escape predators. It got me to thinking and I am definitely a jogger and I want to become a runner. I am not stressing, but increasing my speed has been in the forefront of my thoughts lately.
I took Nate to Hanson's on Saturday and got him some good running shoes, Asics 2110's. The guy that helped us was talking to another customer about the upcoming World Championships in Japan and how he hoped to place around 15th. I think that really inspired Nate, at least I hope it did. We had barely gotten back home when he said he wanted to go running, so since I hadn't gone out yet I said sure. I figured he could do the first 3 of my 6 mile run. As we headed out I noticed he was staying behind me like when he rode his bike, so I told him that he didn't need to stay back there and to run with me. Next thing I know I am struggling to keep up with him at about 1.5 miles. Before he got too far out in front I asked how the shoes felt and told him to slow it down a little. I used the line about not wanting him to get injured by finishing to fast. Truth be told I wanted to slow down because I had 3 more miles to do after we finished!!!
A couple of observations, ok maybe just one... a 12 year old with no training is in much better shape than this 42 yr old!!! He wasn't even tired after 3 miles. So I dragged my self out to finish my 6 miles feeling much older than I am, but at the same time feeling a sort of inspiration. Thinking to myself that I really need to get faster so I can at least try to keep up with him.
So runner or jogger??? I really think I am changing from jogger to runner. I used to be happy just finishing, but now when I am out putting my miles in I picture myself passing the other "grey" hairs out there and realistic or not I want to take 50 minutes off of my first marathon time come December in Hawaii. Official training doesn't start for a couple of months so I am going use the time beforehand to increase the speed, safely and hopefully injury free. With a 12 year old in front of me and father time behind me I think I have all the encouragement I need!!!


R.P.D.

If you're not sure weather you are running or jogging, go faster!

2 Comments:

At 2:36 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Okay Speed Racer, be careful out there! Speed comes from hard work and a little bit of talent. Good luck and I'll be looking over my shoulder for you.

TNT Coach Ken

 
At 7:26 AM , Blogger Motownrunner said...

good job. don't injure yourself. wait. i think you did already!! i'm reading these posts in the wrong direction.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home