Monday, November 12, 2007

CAN I DO IT?.....

That is the question I keep asking myself, can I do it? Can I really run 26.2 miles in less than a month? Now that fundraising is all but finished I need to face the harsh reality that I have not been putting enough miles in and no matter how much I try to make up in the next 30 days I am far, far behind where I need to be. Both physically and mentally.
Saturday morning was supposed to be the first run of over 13 miles for this year, 16 to be exact. After only 12 miles, a small portion of which I walked, I gave up. It was easily the most miserable run ever. Even though it was cool, the air seemed to be heavy and I was finished by mile 2. I ran almost the whole time alone and I had to take stock in the fact that come December I could be in for a long, long day. Part of me wants to go out and run 10 miles every day this week. The other part wants to give up and say what's the difference. I am struggling to find a middle ground, a happy place if you will! With every day that goes by without a run that place is harder and harder to find. I know physically I can do it, start and stay nice and slow. Keep my pace at just over 4 1/2 hour pace, hydrate, fuel, yada yada yada! My issue is going to be keeping my head out of it. I need to stay focused mentally, to push myself forward, to not listen when I get a little tired, more importantly to not listen when I get a LOT tired.

All my thought are muddled together, when they line up I will continue this rant. Thanks for stopping in!

R.P.D.

P.S.
check out Bill's blog. Link to the right------>
Just ran his first sub 3 hr marathon in Richmond. GREAT JOB!!!!

6 Comments:

At 10:52 AM , Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Hey, we all have gone through it. All you need is a few good runs and your confidence will start to rise. Just think, in a few days you’ll have a new group of newbies out there with you. These guys will be looking up to you!

 
At 2:32 PM , Blogger beccahsdad said...

lol...only in stature!!! I need to get off of the pity pot and run damn it!!!!

There I said it, I feel better already. Believe it or not Ken something you said to me one time helps me to keep going...

Finish what you started!!!

thanks!!!

 
At 6:14 PM , Blogger Bill Carter said...

I know from having read your blog so many times that you absolutely can and will do it. I mean it. You are going to have to put in some work and do a nice little 2 week taper, but you will be fine. You basically need a couple long runs (maybe 12 to 14) and a nice comfortable pace on race day and you will pass the test. There is nothing wrong with a walk run scenario and a lot of people make this their plan for race day.

No pressure, but I'm going to be watching you to see how you pull this off.

 
At 7:01 PM , Blogger TBCoyne said...

Bill beat me to the punch...you really should consider doing the walk/run strategy from the get-go. It will help not only with keeping you physically stronger later on in it, but the mental part won't take such a beating.

Coach Ken and I will do an easy 16 with you a week from Saturday...right Ken? : ) (I'll run it, just let me know!)

And keep it going, Bob!
Tim

 
At 9:07 AM , Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Yeah, I’ll be the one in the car honking the horn! That’s what I love about blogging, the world is watching you……

 
At 12:54 AM , Blogger Al Durham said...

You can do it! You can do it! I know it is easier said then done... is that how that line goes? Simply run your pace, if you have to take walk breaks for a minute every mile, that is not big deal. I know towards the end of longer runs I set mental goals... like no walking until the next mile etc... Then make sure that I do not walk for more than a minute. Most importantly remember that you are running "your" race! All that counts is that you cross that finish line and you will. Remember you have done this before. Trust me, each one gets easier, at least a little bit.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home