Wednesday, October 10, 2007

HELP......

I worked on tempo again yesterday and I have a question.... First I did 4 x1 mile with 1/4 mile recovery. Minus 10 sec from marathon pace. Repeats were 9:39...9:40...9:40...9:22. I ramped the last mile up on purpose and I was again pleased that I was able to stay on pace.
Here is the question , however, my lungs like the slower pace ( around 10 mins), but my body likes it at around 9.5 minutes. Which way should I lean to, that is to say, which is easier to overcome my cardio or my muscles? When I slow down to 9:50 to 10:00 pace my legs just ache the whole time, yet at 9:20 to 9:30 I don't have any muscle issues until well into a run (10 + miles). If I try to maintain sub 9:30 pace my lungs feel as though they are going to come out of my chest after a few miles. Any thoughts? My ultimate goal is to increase my marathon pace to around 7:55-8:00. To qualify for Boston sometime in the next 7 years. Realizing that speed doesn't happen over night, but I'm not getting any younger either.

Thanks in advance,
R.P.D.

8 Comments:

At 3:55 PM , Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Let me think, if I can’t breathe properly it doesn’t matter how my legs feel! Go with the pace that allows you to go longer, thus increasing your endurance and ultimately your speed.

 
At 7:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I started all this mess I set a goal pace of 10:30. Through my training, on runs up to 10 miles, I got MUCH faster. But I still slowed way down for my long runs. Then I began to notice that running that slow for that long really HURT. So I sped up just a bit and you know what... it worked. I felt great for the whole run (20 miles) and didn't stop once. My pace was about 9:30. Try this... Go for a long run and either leave your watch at home or don't look at it until the end... Just run at a comfortable pace and see where you are at. You might be surprised. I'm thinking somewhere in between your 9:30 and 9:50 time goals is probably where you will end up... Just a thought...!

 
At 7:17 AM , Blogger beccahsdad said...

Thanks Ken, I guess I just needed to hear that from someone else. I have almost 2 months to figure it out. :o) P.S. When are we going to see you back out on the path?

Samzdad...thanks for the input and welcome aboard.

 
At 12:46 PM , Blogger Al Durham said...

I would have to agree with Ken. Work at the pace where you can breathe. Breathing is the most important thing. Speaking from my short running experience your pace will imporve with more long runs. I thought that sounded wierd also when I first heard it. But the more miles I put in have actually decreased my overall pace and made mefaster overall. Keep at it and the body will improve.

 
At 2:37 PM , Blogger beccahsdad said...

You mean I have to keep running AND do it more often!!! Oh Boy!!

Thanks for the input Al!!! How is the recovery from Chicago coming along?

 
At 3:47 PM , Blogger Al Durham said...

Yes you may need to run more miles but the payoff does come. I swear it will. I went from running a 5:20 marathon in 2005 to running a 4:06 less than two years later and even an Utlra so more miles paid off! I feel back to "normal" after Chicago and ready to help my younger borther complete his first marathon in Detroit in less than two weeks. Good luck!

 
At 4:53 PM , Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Al didn’t mention his six hour Chicago time. That’s what happens when you go over to the dark side and do Ultras. I plan on being out at Stoney on Saturday.

 
At 12:36 PM , Blogger Al Durham said...

That 6 hour Chicago time is a wash becasue of the heat and being forced to walk the last 10 miles. I guess running longer distances also builds you menatlly to stay on your feet for over 6 hours. Honestly the Ultra felt eaiser than Chicago.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home