Monday, October 01, 2007

NAKIN MILLS RUN....

So I woke up late on Saturday, as usual, not remembering what time the group run was suppose to start I found my schedule and as it turned out I wasn't late afterall.
Every year at this time Team in Training and Running Fit put on a 20 mile run at a place called Nakin Mills. It is set up just like a race, and for a lot of people it is the first time they run 20 miles. Last year was my first! I knew most of the people I normally run with would be out there, but I was still undecided, it is almost twice as far as I usually drive for my Saturday run. Because of the later start I was now early so of course I decided to lie back down. Oops!! Never should have done that. I pulled out of the driveway still unsure of where I was going, so I kind let the car drive itself and I found myself on my way to the west side. Since I was going to be late where ever I went I figured I would go to where the most people would be.

I got the course 12 minutes late according to the stop watch at the start, everyone was gone except for a few people still getting things organized and/or running late like yours truely. The way the course is setup you go out and back 2.5 miles cross over the start/finish line go out and back for a total of 16. Then out and back 2 miles for a total of 20. Last year it was basically the same except when you came back to the finish line you had to go and back 1/2 mile, that was BAD mentally. Since I was only doing 13 I didn't have to deal with that this year. The weather was perfect, sunny and around 60 with no wind. I ran the first mile in 9:06 and told myself to sloooow down. I would never be able to maintain that pace. At almost 2 miles the main group of runners passed me going back towards the start, I missed the 2 mile mark somehow and didn't pay much attention at 3 miles. Back at the start I crossed 5 miles feeling fantastic with 4 out and back to complete my 13. It was at this point I realized the miles were turning over faster than usual and at 6 miles I paid attention the watch, 56:13, whoa new PR for 6 miles!! I was still running alone at this point, but I found myself in a very unusual position. I was beginning to pass some of the walkers and slower runners. I told myself at this point to slow down, I was never going to make 7 more miles at this pace. Of course I didn't listen, it felt too good! Up until Saturday my 10 mile PR was 1:44 and the Crim in August. I crossed 10 miles at 1:35:03, talk about delusions of grandeur!!! I started doing the math and figure, what the heck I can maintain and do a sub 2 hour half!!! I was still passing people on a regular basis, but the "real" fast people had begun to catch me as I headed back to the finish. With 2 miles to go I hit the last aid station up for some water and headed for home. I was starting to feel the miles, but with just over a mile to go sub 2 hours was still in reach. Then something strange happened, dizziness. I caught myself running sideways and almost fell over. It was kind of like nodding off to sleep while driving. I snapped out of it and continued and it happened again. I took my hat off and walked for a minute. At this point I would have killed to see someone I knew, especially if they had water, but alas nobody in sight. Decision time! Walk, run or stop. If I walked in from this point I would have felt defeated, STOP!!! what???, so I continued to run, albeit slowly. I finished in just over 2 hours, 2:05 and change.

A few things I learned. The speed and strength work on Tuesdays has helped me, being the one who is passing is much better than getting passed and with a lot of hard work these next couple of months I might just be able to make it 26.2 in Honolulu!!

R.P.D.

5 Comments:

At 4:16 PM , Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Are you crazy? Which part of training run didn’t get through to you? Another lesson you should have learned is nutrition! I didn’t read anything about what, when or how much you ate. There was a reason for the dizziness. Okay, I’m off my soapbox, good run Bob!

 
At 7:33 PM , Blogger beccahsdad said...

Oops!!! I forgot, lets see I had a Gu at mile 7, almost puked. Picked another one up at mile 9, but I didn't eat it. I did have three slices of cold pzza th night before. I think I should quit while I am ahead!!! Thanks Ken, hope all is well with the knee!!

 
At 6:33 AM , Blogger TBCoyne said...

And how many beers at bowling the night before? : ) Good job getting in 13 miles, Bob...you were running well when I saw you both times!

 
At 6:42 AM , Blogger beccahsdad said...

Tim,
Only a couple of cold ones the night before. I switched to water early in to the night.

 
At 11:02 AM , Blogger Al Durham said...

Carbs = a good run, so beer = a good run. I drank a few the night before my Ultra and felt great. I may have found a new fueling secret that should not be shared at the next nutrition clinic. You looked like you had a good solid pace going at Nankin Mills. Remember distance running is all about pace.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home