Wednesday, September 12, 2007

STRESS...TAKE 2.......

Strength workout.... 4x1 mile repeats 1/4 mile recovery with 1 1/2 mile warm up and cool down.

I haven't had time to return my new shoes yet and I am starting to pay for it. My feet and ankles were so sore last night after running. The workout went really well and the weather was perfect. We were supposed to do 6 x 1 mile repeats, but I only did 4 because of the shoes and the pain. Pace was supposed to be 10 seconds faster than marathon pace which would have put me at 9:50 miles. Right after the warm up my stomach started to flip flop and the resulting potty break made me late for the actual workout. Because of this I went out very fast, again fast when I use it is a relative term, and finished mile one at 9:07. At that point I figured since I knew I was not going to do the full 6 miles I would push a little harder and readjusted my goal pace to be 9:30. The next three miles were, 9:20. 9:20, and 9:15. I was very happy even if my lower extremities weren't!
During the warm up I had a chance to re-evaluate my approach to this, my second marathon. I have been stressing about finishing time. Last year my goal was simple, finish without any significant injury. Which I did, 5:21:00 with about 5 miles of mostly walking between 17 and 22. This time around my goals are slightly more lofty. I would like to finish in 4:30:00, which I really should be able to do. Here I am three months away and I find myself worried about not being able to pull it off. Well last night I decided that if it works out, great! If not, oh well, just finish what you started and let everything else sort itself out. Now don't get me wrong I am still going to try and do it, but if it doesn't happen it is ok. Life will go on and lessons will be learned and I will get faster.

Thanks for stopping by,
R.P.D.

3 Comments:

At 9:01 AM , Blogger Bill Carter said...

Congrats on the great workout. You must have had your speedy legs on because that was fast.
Do not worry too much about that marathon yet. We all have this sort of "pie in the sky" goal and that is great, but try not to let it rule your life....not yet anyways.
Return those shoes. Shoes make such a big difference.

Best of luck,
Bill

 
At 9:00 PM , Blogger TBCoyne said...

Great job on the training last night, Bob! I skipped it to listen to Doug Kurtis at our TNT clinic....and one of his tips he gave relates to what you wrote. He said too many people stress during the marathon by looking at their watch and wasting energy playing catch up, instead of running relaxed and at their own comfortable pace that they've trained at. If a goal/PR is meant to be (and the person trained properly), it'll happen.

Sounds like you have the right attitude...and you're on the right track with the training!

 
At 10:03 PM , Blogger beccahsdad said...

Thanks for the kind words guys!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home