Monday, August 27, 2007

CHO-PATS ON THE REARVIEW...

Bleary eyed and stiff I made it out the door at 6:15 Saturday morning and headed right for 7/11 for a coffee. Once on the road I became increasingly aware that I had no idea where I needed to go. I mean sure, I knew the general area and there were so many people that I figured I could just follow the crowd. The problem with that logic is the crowd was going in every direction at once. As usual though my worries were for not and I got my number and T-shirt, went back to the car grabbed a quick drink of water and headed to the start area. Once there I was happily surprised to find the Team in Training folks. As the time approached for the race to begin we squeezed as close to the road as possible, which because of the mass of people, wasn't very close. The 'herd' started moving and we were off.

Coach Ken, more on him in a minute, and I ran for the first 2 miles and because of the number of runners had no choice but to maintain a 10 minute pace. After he pulled aside to pick up some other runners I ran alone for some time. Well not alone, in the Crim you are never really alone. This was the first race that I was dodging people the entire time. I felt good leading into the hilly portion of the race, which begins at mile 5 and up I went. Last year I walked the better part of the uphills at this point and one of my goals was not to do it again. And lo and behold I didn't. Short steps and relaxed arms did the trick and before I knew it I was through the rough section and heading down hill. At this point I had only a rough idea how I was doing for time becasue my did not like the rain we got before the start and was not working, but I knew my goal of 1:35:00 was out of reach. I realize that I set goals a little too high sometime at this point, but I was ok with it. It was also here, between miles 6 and 7 that I realized something else. I need new shoes!!! My left foot started to really hurt and it was at this point I started walking here and there. I readjusted my goal, which was now to beat my best 10 mile time of 1:48 and with two miles to go I was at 1:29. I felt like I could do it, but I needed help.

Just under a mile to go I got that help, Coach Ken. I passed him as he was looking for runners and he asked how I was doing and I told him not good, but go find someone else who really needed help. Luckily he didn't listen!! Now to him it was probably nothing, but to me the 20 seconds or so he spent with me made the race. By this time the demon in my head was winning and I was bearly moving forward. "stand up straight, don't look down, look ahead, find a rhythmn." Rhythmn, that really woke me up and there it was. I was back! But it was the last he said that really inspired me. As he pealed off to find other runners he said pick someone ahead of me who is running the same pace and catch them. Because, he said, there were people behind me doing the same thing!!

So, I looked up and saw her. A bright orange tank top, speed walking about 20 meters ahead of me. I had been with her for about 3 miles and I decided there was no way a walker was going to beat me. I am not sure at what point I passed her but it was the strongest finish to any race to date and I came in at 1:44. Almost a full hour behind the winner!!! But because of Ken's 20 seconds I felt great! For what you and the other coaches do for us is beyond words. Thank you so much and thanks for the beers afterwards!!

So with my number drying on the dash and my cho-pats hanging from the rear view mirror I drove home thankful. Thankful for be able to run 10 miles, thankful for the people who pushed me when I needed it, and thankful for the signs when I got home saying way to go Bob. Your #1 Dad!!! Fast as Lightning!!! You did it!! No, you did it, because there is no way I make it without ya.....thank you so much for doing that it made my day!!!!

R.P.D.

5 Comments:

At 9:24 AM , Blogger Motownrunner said...

awesome post!!! i'm sorry i missed you. we ran a lot of this race together last year so i wondered if you were there. i was a heck of a lot slower but so happy. also, i need new shoes too. for certain. my feet feel like they've been crushed. so glad to see you've been running. keep it up!!! i haven't smoked since february!! when's your next one?

 
At 9:25 AM , Blogger Motownrunner said...

your next race...

 
At 1:51 PM , Blogger beccahsdad said...

as of right now....Honolulu with Beth.

 
At 4:55 PM , Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Dude, you are amazing. Even during the tough patches, you kept going. I think we have a runner on our hands! Great job.

 
At 1:35 AM , Blogger Beccahsmom said...

Honey, I am so proud of you! Thank God for the people that push us..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home