Thursday, August 30, 2007

CONFUSED.....

So here is a question for my 10's of readers out there. Why is it that when I did three 1 mile repeats at roughly a 9 minute pace (8:40, 8:45, 9:13), I damn near puked when I got done. Then last night I do 3 miles in 27:47, which by my math is 9:16 pace. Does 15 seconds really mean that much? I wasn't even really tired when I finished last night. (Scratching the top of my head like Stan Laurel).

Here is my only theory...my body does not like to slow down. When we do speed work the recovery period in between the workout is usually 440 yds. at a slow jog. My workouts are always fastest times first, opposite of what I want. By the time I finish my last recovery jog I have had it and getting back up to and maintaining speed is very difficult. It is somewhat like people who take planned walk breaks every 8 minutes or every mile. I can't do that! The first walk break is ok, but by mile 3 I just can't get my body back into running again.

I really enjoy the speed work, but it is frustrating me. Any ideas????


R.P.D.

1 Comments:

At 10:17 PM , Blogger TBCoyne said...

Well, I can speculate by saying - the humidity was way higher Tuesday night, which affected the breathing some, especially with starting the first mile at that faster pace. Steady pace means a lot, which Keith H mentioned to make sure we do (and not faster than goal pace). Sorry though, don't have a clue about your walk break issues....but they work for me! : ) And good job getting out there Bob, keep it going!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home