Friday, September 28, 2007

THE EVERYTHING RUN....

Sorry about my recent lack of blogs. When I don't run, I don't blog! I did, however get in 6 miles last night. New PR by the by...56:53.

Speaking of the run, it started like most days recently with everything conspiring against me in an attempt to stop me from running. Appointments, errands, kids homework, etc. I finally made it out the door at 9pm. Most runs, for me anyway, have a distinct start, middle, and end. The start is horrible, my breathing is labored, legs are heavy and I almost always feel like turning around within a half mile. The middle is my comfort zone, my happy place. I can solve all of the world's problems in the middle part of my runs! Then there is the end, the can we get this over with stage. Or the God please make it stop hurting stage.

Well last night was different, as I said it took some doing to just get out the door and I was very stressed by the time I did. Helping my 12 yr old with his math homework when he doesn't understand is maddening. My wife asked me if I was just going to keep running once I made it out the door, pretty funny!! Well not even 1/4 mile into it my chest started to hurt, but went away quick enough. I took less time than usual to warm up and I felt really good at mile 2. Then the fun started, for the next 3 miles I experienced every type of run related feeling I can think of. One second I was feeling great, the next I wanted to die. Speed up, slow down, man it got hot, why is my belly so cold? All in all I liked it, time pasted more quickly and I ran my fastest mile between miles 4 and 5. It was just weird is all. Especially in a short run as it was. I have been feeling a bit unsure of myself and runs like this help to refresh the spirit and restore some confidence.

I think Beth was happy I decided to come back home after the run and thankfully my son figured out his math homework by then too. I am proud of him for putting so much effort into it!

As always thanks for taking the time and have a great day!!!

R.P.D.

4 Comments:

At 10:05 AM , Blogger Al Durham said...

I think that is way some days my scheduled run turn into much longer than I had planned. You feel like running away from your problems. It works for a short time or at least you get to solve a few issues in your head.

 
At 10:46 AM , Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Sounds like you were having a heart attack! I can’t remember when I had that runner’s high, the euphoric feeling that makes it all worth doing. I equate that to having a birdie on the last hole of a bad round of golf. It’s just what you need to keep you coming back.

 
At 11:03 AM , Blogger beccahsdad said...

Al...running, more times than not is my sanctuary.
Ken...I thought the same thing and I didn't have my shoe tag on. I got this picture in my head of being in the ER with a John Doe sticker on my toe!!!

P.S.
I am back to work, woohoo!!!!! maybe yippee is more appropriate!

 
At 1:10 PM , Blogger Bill Carter said...

"Life (insert the word running) is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get." This is a beautiful quote from Forrest Gump that pretty much summarizes how I feel about runs. Some are good, some are bad, but almost invariably they are all very different from every other one.
Best of luck,
Bill

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home