Thursday, October 04, 2007

TRACKSTAR....

Well, that would be a slight over exaggeration. Last night was my first endeavour into track running. Someone from my TNT team suggested we get together at this high school from some speed work. I'm always up for speed work and group running so I jumped at the chance. First things first, actually running on a track is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I envisioned my left knee hurting from the continual circles, but that never happened. I can see how tracks can lend themselves to speed work, but any type of sustained pace running would get old real fast! I think I would rather run on a treadmill, but it might be a toss up.
The workout itself was kind of a mosh pit of sorts. One warm up lap, then we did two laps of sprinting on the straights and recovery on the curves. Then a few laps at tempo followed by 1 fast lap. Then a few slower laps, then another fast. Everyone decided to call it a night, but I wanted to get 1 more mile in so I tried to run laps a bit faster than marathon pace, but at the same time maintain it. 9:14...9:13...9:14...9:02. I was very happy to see I am able to maintain pace without too much concentration. Total miles 4 @ 9 minute pace average. All in all it wasn't too bad.

Track star??? The track star was this little girl, maybe 7 out there training. She said she was going to do 8 laps. Her mother, who was very pregnant and 2 of her sisters were there as well, but not running. On the back of her shirt.....

FUNNER TO BE A RUNNER!!

I am going to think of that and her when I am at mile 22 come December.

Thanks for visiting.
R.P.D.

5 Comments:

At 2:28 PM , Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Okay Superstar! Speedwork on a track is way better than Dodge Park! The track is flat, so you don’t have to work harder on a hill or slow down on a decline. I agree being a runner is so much funner!

 
At 9:10 PM , Blogger TBCoyne said...

Thanks for the well-wishes in yesterday's post....Chicago should be fun. Oh wait, I have to run too....well, then it'll be funner! I think you're catching on with this whole running thing...learning pace is so key, and the consistency in your times yesterday reflects just that.

Run on!
Tim

 
At 10:56 PM , Blogger Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Great job on the track work. And I love that shirt.

Amy
http://blog.runnerslounge.com

 
At 1:08 AM , Blogger Beccahsmom said...

Honey..thx for mentioning me in your blogs lately..I am always thinking of you when u r out there running..and your blogs are inspirational..keep up the good work..and Honolulu is gonna be a blast..I LoVe YoU! Beth

 
At 2:59 PM , Blogger Al Durham said...

Look the track is on fire! Slow down Bob this is a marahton not a 5K! Great job on the track work. Sounds like you are getting the hang of this running life.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home