Monday, January 14, 2008

HAPPY MONDAY!!!!!


So another weeks goes by and I only run twice, 3 and 3.2 miles. Although those runs went about a good as I could have hoped I am finding it increasing difficult to make time to run. You'll notice I didn't say find time, I said make time. That little part of my brain that says, "go ahead and sleep for another 30 minutes", "hey lets watch football, you deserve a break", etc. etc. etc. We all know that guy, well mine I fear at times is winning!! Having said that, the battle is on!! No more Mr. Nice Guy!! For lack of a better way to say it, every time that voice speaks up it's getting bitch slapped!!!! When I have time to I am going to run. I will say that again so I can hear it... When I have the time to run I AM going to run. When I don't have the time, I will make the time. The only, and I mean only thing that will prevent me from running is time with the kids. I will and cannot sacrifice what little time I spend with my children. That of course doesn't mean that they can't come with me!!

A reasonable and doable schedule for me is to run 4 times a week. Three weekly runs and a long run on the weekend. That will not get me ready for Boston, but I won't be ready to try that in earnest for a year or two anyway. Baby steps!!! 4 runs a week will give me the miles I need and a good base to build on. My short term goal is to build and maintain a base of sub 9 minute miles runs, gradually increasing the miles at that pace until I bump it down to sub 8:30, hopefully by sometime next year.
The picture, by the way, is the grandfather of an old friend. Notice the popcicle stick the guy in the lower left is getting ready to hand to him!! Tell ya how long ago this was taken! It is no less inspiring , however.
Thanks for taking the time to stop by,
R.P.D.
"Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired." - Jules Renard

3 Comments:

At 7:18 PM , Blogger Bill Carter said...

Having a goal like running Boston is something that will certainly give you the impetus to MAKE time. It is an amazing thing that we actually waste so much of our valuable time doing nothing or things that are counter productive. I am just as guilty as the next person and the only thing that seems to work for me is to have goals.

Best of luck in early '08!

 
At 6:56 AM , Blogger beccahsdad said...

Thanks Bill and you are so right about wasted time. Multitask is a big word these days and I don't think it fits. I'll have to give some thought to one that is more fitting.

Thanks again and keep it you! You are one of my inspirations!!

 
At 5:05 PM , Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Bob-
If you figure out how to make time, we’ll be rich! Just do what you can when you can, that’s what I going to do. See you out on the path.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home