Monday, November 26, 2007

BRAIN BUCKET...


An old friend of mine used to say he needed a brain bucket after a night of heavy partying. How good it would feel to get a bucket of ice cold water, drop a couple aspirin into it and plop the old grey matter in. Give it a rinse, maybe a splash of powder or talc and put it back all fresh and new.
I have been pretty consumed in stress lately and it is amazing how it saps my strength, desire, and urge to run. On top the the usual concerns about the upcoming marathon and lack of training, I now have all this other baggage to deal with.
I know running helps, Saturday is a perfect case in point. I left my house at 7:20am and the last thing I wanted to do was run. I almost talked myself back into the house a half dozen times before I got to Stony Creek. Even after I got there I felt like going back home, but after much debate, mostly with myself, we decided on 9 miles and the trails. My head was swimming by mile 2 and I felt as though I was in need of a med tent. By mile 4, every bump in the trail seemed to grab me by the foot and say quit already will ya. Something funny happened at mile 7 after we got back on the main path and after a potty break. I didn't feel bad anymore. My headache was gone, the worries weren't there, that stress knot in the back of my neck was gone. For the briefest of moments I was happy just to be where I was and nothing else mattered. We got back to the warm room and coach Ken and I decided to go back out for a couple more miles. A mile out and a mile back. I could have done another 6 miles maybe more, but that is not the point. The point is running is my brain bucket. My link back to sanity.
I had a really good weekend and spent most of the day yesterday making seafood stock and paella which ended up being too spicy for the kids, but that was ok. They got to have their dessert first and we got to play I spy while we waited for the frozen pizza to cook. And it all started with an 11 mile on Saturday which almost didn't happen. Strange how things work out!!!

Thanks for stopping by,
R.P.D.

1 Comments:

At 8:43 PM , Blogger Bill Carter said...

Awesome post! A run like that is what is all about. That run also makes me think that you are going to be just fine in Hawaii. I think for you it is going to be all about pacing (take your time) and finding that sort of happy place and let yourself just enjoy the experience of going long.. you obviously have it in you. Both Stony and Paint Creek are 2 great places to run, but they are no Honolulu

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home