Thursday, August 31, 2006

CLARITY.....



Just saying that word suddenly makes me feel better. Last night I had a really, I mean really cleansing run. I did a slow 6 miles with my daughter and by the time I got back home I felt like a new person. Clarity, Webster says: clearness or lucidity as to perception or understanding; freedom from indistinctness or ambiguity. I call it peace of mind. Now understand, I know this could be nothing more than a fleeting moment in the chaos that is my life, but I am learning to relish these moments. Thursday Beccah and I went to see her Dr. We arrived about a half hour early so we found a seat in the waiting room. There is a small TV in the room and on the TV the movie Elf was playing. Beccah decided to sit on my lap and we just sat there watching Elf. We laughed at the funny parts, but really we just sat there. For me it was the best 35 minutes I have had in a long time. I cannot remember the last time I felt so totally relaxed. Clarity.

Sitting at home after the kids are in bed and my wife is out my brain has been on overdrive. What should I do, what could I have done, what about tomorrow, the pool, the bills, school starting, overtime, the house, the family. Yikes, the noise! So to have just 35 minutes of nothing but Elf and Beccah is pure joy. Back to run last night. It started like any other run, but as I went on all of those thoughts/problems that have been floating in my head suddenly began to sort themselves out. By mile 4 it was like a well oiled machine, taking 1 problem at a time, organizing, analyzing, and filing it away, next! I felt 20 lbs lighter when I was done. Clarity.

So as I start this Thursday my troubles are still there, the difference is they are MY troubles I own them, they don't own me anymore. I have a marathon to train for, 26.2 miles, 147244 feet. I don't have time to be bogged down by troubles. October 22, 2006 I will cross the finish line and I will do it running.

Clarity!

R.P.D.

"Do not anticipate trouble or worry about what may never happen. Keep in
the sunlight." -Benjamin Franklin -

7 Comments:

At 9:06 AM , Blogger Motownrunner said...

Elf is one of my favorite movies in the world. The first time I saw that movie, I actually cried at the end, when everyone breaks into carols to help the sleigh take off!!! How crazy is it to get caught up in the goofiest movie in the world??? About the clarity, yeah, sometimes it just comes to you. Read "When Things Fall Apart, Heart Advice for Difficult Times" by Pema Chodron. At first, I couldn't stomach this book. But it's got some gems in there. I can lend it to you if you want. Have a great day. Margarita

 
At 9:16 AM , Blogger beccahsdad said...

You know I used to read all of time and gradually I have gotten away from it. Now is a good time to start up again. I would love to borrow it.
thanks!!!

 
At 10:41 AM , Blogger Al Durham said...

Great job putting that clarity feeling that running gives you into words. It is true that running can help you organize or come to grip with issues in your life.

 
At 10:53 AM , Blogger beccahsdad said...

Al,

I wasn't able to do that Saturday at the Crim. For some reason everytime I tried it made me lose focus and hurt my run. I guess this time it worked because I really didn't try it just happenned.

 
At 5:29 PM , Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Just do it! I try to leave all of that stuff behind when I run, it makes me so much lighter on my feet. Sometimes you also have to run with emotions, they can make you go so fast. You'll find you niche.

 
At 3:22 PM , Blogger Motownrunner said...

Here's that website I told you about.

They have that world's strongest dad video on here.

http://completerunning.com/

 
At 8:38 AM , Blogger Russ said...

Good blog. I know exactly what you mean about clarity (see 1st post on my blog)...It are these moments that define our lives more than anything.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home