Friday, September 08, 2006

HAS IT BEEN A WEEK?!??!


8 Days since my last post, yikes! I know this blog doesn't have the readership of say the New York Times, but I have to say I feel as though I haven't kept my part of the bargain. There is a sense of responsibility when you start a blog to those people out there who have honored me by reading it. I know that I want to what's up when the blogs I follow aren't being updated!!

So now that the apologies are out of the way...

I had one of my best runs last night. It was late by the time I got out, 8:30PM, but there was a full moon to light my way. I started thinking about how I got back into running after all these years. Why now? What made me quit smoking in April and start running in May? Back then I thought, hey it just happens that way sometimes. When you least expect it you get inspired. Looking back from where I am now some three and a half months later I think differently. I am not what I would consider a spiritual man. I have always had issues with faith and whether or not there is a hereafter. Recently, however, I am having a change of heart. Just over two weeks ago my wife told me she wanted a divorce. I was devastated to say the least. My whole life seemed to be turned upside down. The only thing other than my children that gave me some sense of right or purpose was running. It was a time when everything that was and is happening seem to fade just a bit and the next step forward was all that mattered. And as those steps added up I could feel my spirit moving forward as well. Don't get me wrong I am still very upset and sad about what is going on, but I now have a clearer understanding of what I have to do. Which brings me back to my question...Why did I start running? For the first time in my life I can say that I was led to running. It was a gift that unbeknownst to me was given to help me through this troubling time.

Ok, that's enough spirituality for one post. Have a fantastic weekend!

R.P.D.

We are still masters of our fate.We are still captains of our souls.
Winston Churchill

8 Comments:

At 9:15 AM , Blogger Motownrunner said...

welcome back!!! we missed you. great post, too.

 
At 10:47 AM , Blogger beccahsdad said...

Thanks!!! Hope your run out in Lake Orion went well.

 
At 1:37 PM , Blogger Motownrunner said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:37 PM , Blogger Motownrunner said...

dude, i had a really good swim. i'm going to skip the run tomorrow too. i decided to go for a really long bike ride. that way i know for sure my shins are fine before i start up again. i hope your work day is going well and that you're feeling good about things. life can throw some curve balls at you but i can honestly say that in my VAST experience (ha ha) as a human being, every hard experience i've had has made me more of a super fox later!!! just you wait. you can be an even better super fox too.

 
At 12:53 PM , Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Dude, been there done that. I think back on my first divorce/running life. Running helped me also, as a matter of fact I ran better during that phase. They say the leading cause of divorces is marriage. Hang in there. You guys looked great yesterday.

 
At 1:12 PM , Blogger beccahsdad said...

Leading cause of divorce is marriage, now that's funny!!! Thanks Ken.

P.S. Good luck with 'High Maintenance'

Bob

 
At 2:00 PM , Blogger Al Durham said...

Great post! I am happy to see that I am not the only runner who feels running helps their spiritual side also. It is crazy how you can be guided towards other things to help you through sad times in your life. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 8:31 AM , Blogger Motownrunner said...

as much as i love this post (because i do), give us another one!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home