Wednesday, November 01, 2006


WHERE HAVE ALL THE PEOPLE GONE?......


As I stated in my last blog, I was in downtown Detroit on Sunday and there are a few observations I would like to make.

First, there are some very beautiful buildings downtown. This was the first time in a very long time that I spent time walking around down there and the architecture is pretty cool. Not one building stands out more than the rest, but it really worth a look if you have a free afternoon.

Second, where is everybody. It was Sunday at 1:00pm and the streets were empty. And this was no regular Sunday, some 15,000 people had just competed in a marathon through the city. Understanding most of the runners were someplace healing, but what about their friends and family? All of the businesses were closed, we couldn't even find someplace to get coffee!! It was very sad to see.

Now I am not one to talk because it has been a very long time since I've ventured into the city and that statement I think tends to explain things. I, like most people do not live in the city and because of my schedule it is difficult to find the time to make the trip. You know something, that's such a cop out!!! The oldest of my kids is 11 and we have never taken a field trip downtown, which is wrong. Time to change.

I think it would go a long way to help if we all did that. Take an afternoon out of our hectic lives and go see the city, some of us for the first time. Ride the people mover just to look at all the different styles of artwork at the stops. Walk around the Renaissance Center and check out the cars. Stop for a bite at Lafayette Coney Island. Or just take a stroll and look at the buildings. I think you might be surprised and who knows eventually we might be able to get a coffee on a Sunday afternoon.

Just a thought, have a fantastic day!!

R.P.D.

1 Comments:

At 9:41 AM , Blogger Motownrunner said...

i'm so glad you posted this. i've always loved detroit and its beautiful buildings. i so miss living downtown. yes, for sure go down as often as possible. there are many things to see. maybe we should join forces and open a coffee shop!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home