Monday, September 18, 2006

DRINKING AND RUNNING, AN OBSERVATION....


Knowing full well I had to run at least 14 miles on Sunday I went out on Saturday night. Not the smartest thing I have ever done, but I needed it. Al, one of the team in training folks here had a bar crawl fundraiser. A bar crawl for those of you who don't know, is basically just what it says. You start at a bar have some drinks, food, etc. and then move on to the next. The bars are within walking distance, hence the crawl. Anyway I had a really good time. It's been a long time since I went out to the bar and it was nice talking to everyone and people watching. Speaking of people watching, either kids today have gotten really good at faking IDs or I am getting old!!

So long story short I had about few beers and a shot!! Thanks Amy! It was some sort of orange thing that tasted just like an orange pushup ice cream! After a time we ended up back at the first bar and the DJ was playing, the dance floor was crowded, and I firgured I had better leave or running was not going to be an option. So I bid my farwells and headed off. I was in bed by 11:30 and felt great when I woke up in the AM. I drank a big glass of water before going to bed and had some more in the morning with a bagel. Fast forward to mile 11 or 12 of my run... All of a sudden I got dizzy. When I say dizzy I mean looking around so I don't fall on anyone dizzy. It felt as though the ground was falling away from my feet, very strange. It only happend 2 times, but Tim, my running buddy yesterday, thanks by the way Tim!! seemed to think that dehydration was the culprit and alcohol was the cause. No arguement from the dizzy guy. So a couple of things learned, first drink copious amounts of water before and during a run if you have a few drinks the night before. And second, when you feel like dancing instead of leaving...

you can always run the day after the day after!!!

R.P.D.

Integrity has no need of rules. Albert Camus

6 Comments:

At 8:45 AM , Blogger Motownrunner said...

yes, i'm familiar with the drill. drink LOTS of water and take some ibuprofin. hey, we're a little over four weeks away. can't you almost taste the finish line??? i also hope u sign up for the freep...a half at least??

 
At 8:59 AM , Blogger beccahsdad said...

The Freep, this year!!! To be honest the thought had never crossed my mind!! That race is the week after San Fran, yes? I'll be lucky to be walking by then!!!

 
At 1:13 PM , Blogger Al Durham said...

Thanks for comming to the Crawl. I am glad to hear that you had a good time.

 
At 1:28 PM , Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Ah yes, drinking and running. I know it very well. Hey I'm pretty good at it. To get dizzy that far into your run is strange. It was warm and I'm sure you were drinking water. Good job for both days.

 
At 10:32 PM , Blogger Darrell said...

Just stopped by via the CRN. Loved your line about running the day after the day after. That's classic. Good luck with your training and have fun at the marathon.

 
At 7:38 AM , Blogger beccahsdad said...

Thanks for all the comments everyone and welcome aboard Darrell!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home