Monday, July 31, 2006

BLAH!!!!



Well that about sums it up, BLAH! I was so looking forward to blowing off some steam on Saturday during my long run and at mile 4 I knew it wasn't going to happen. I have been battling the sore leg syndrome and it finally caught up to me this weekend. I ended up doing 6 miles and by the time I got home my head was pounding and my legs were like lead. I closed my eyes at 10:20 and woke up 1:00 PM not feeling any better. When I finally decide my headache wasn't going away I figured maybe alcohol was the answer. So off to the store I went with my returnables, all $35.00 worth, and bought a 12 pack. After 4 beers I wasn't making any headway, pardon the pun. So I figured enough was enough and called it a night. Sunday was a lazy day. I stayed inside most of the day while my wife decided to brave the heat and get some sun. Other than a brief dip in the pool I was pretty much couch bound.

Getting back to my run... Have you ever noticed the feeling you get when you see the finish line? All of a sudden you feel like you could run forever. I struggled just to keep my legs moving for the last 2 miles Saturday, that is until I saw the end. I actually caught myself speeding up and for the first time yelled at myself, internally, to slow down. What was I thinking, here I was quitting half way through my run and I was going to finish with a kick!! How dare I!!! My point is, how can we maintain that feeling throughout our runs? Granted, finishing mile 3 of 12 isn't anything to scream about, or is it? Of course it is, but how do I translate that to my body for that adrenaline rush. The opposite sure does happen, let my knee give me the slightest little twinge and I can come up with about 100 reasons why I should stop, before I take the next stride! At times running can be so frustrating.

Before I get really down on myself I am going to take most of this week off, just a short run Weds or Thurs. and my long run Saturday. Hopefully my legs will come back. If so I am really going to put some effort into finding that "thing" that makes all of the little accomplishments feel just like the finish line.

R.P.D.

4 Comments:

At 2:26 PM , Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Now you have to work on the mental side of running, weedhopper. When you can catch the fly out of the air, you will prevail over your runs. You must find inner peace and maintain it throughout your run. Do not get caught up in your surrounding, but become one with them. In other words, ‘slow down and enjoy your runs’.

 
At 10:28 PM , Blogger Motownrunner said...

bob, you are doing really well. as we all know we all get funks. are you kidding me, i'm queen of funk. your mind is powerful. feed it good things and it will reward you.

now, coach ken, how come you never left me a deep message like this one!!!?? i'm jelly.

 
At 8:36 AM , Blogger beccahsdad said...

I know I need to take a step back and see how far I've come in a short time and be happy with it. I have a lot of negative energy right now and I need to purge my system! As always thanks, you folks lift my spirits!!

-Bob

 
At 7:37 AM , Blogger Motownrunner said...

where've you been? we want some new posts!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home