Thursday, June 26, 2008

THE PICKLE GRABBER


In the midst of madness the simplest things can make you smile.....

A little background before we begin. I am settling into my new house, it is spartan to say the least. And lonely at times. Having lived with someone for the better part of 16 years, the adjustment to solitude can be tough. I don't have cable yet and I rarely turn the TV on. the strangest time is dinner time. It is just me, my dinner and what ever mail I happen to get that day.
I was sitting there two days ago in a funk. Worried about bills, money, the kids, yada yada yada. When I happened on a old book "The Tao of Pooh" by Benjamin Hoff. So there I am with my spicy brats, corn on the cob, glass of milk and the local coupon paper and the book. Something was missing, I mean besides all of the usual kid sounds at dinner...pickles. How to get the pickles out of the jar, ahha!! I remember my mother-in-law gave a pickle grabber. Bet you never heard someone say THAT before!! Anyway, there I sit reading the foreword of my book fishing the pickles out of the jar and I found myself smiling. For that brief second all that mattered was fishing those pickles out of the jar and every time I got one....YES!!! It dawned on me how little it really takes to make us happy!
The next day, yesterday, I got to see my kids as they come over on Wednesday after work. You ever watch a kid. I mean just sit back and watch them be happy. They don't need money, cars, video games, TV, nice clothes, jewelery, a bunch of toys. Just put a small group of kids together and a game of hide and go seek and I will show you happiness like nothing you will ever see. I have asked this before, when is the last time you ran for the sake of running, or skipped? You have to be careful where you do that second one!!! The point is, stop for a second, grab the pickle grabber and be happy!!! Life is too short not to!

Have a great day and as always thanks for stopping by.

R.P.D.

P.S.
running again...more to come....

3 Comments:

At 9:20 AM , Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Wow, that's profound or really boring! It gets better, so hang in there. I can relate to the running for the sake of running, wait until you can't run........

 
At 9:44 AM , Blogger beccahsdad said...

boring!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! Welcome to my world Kenny boy!!! See ya Saturday!

 
At 12:04 PM , Blogger Carol W said...

What beautiful, touching insight on focusing on and enjoying the here and now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home